Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Another Chance?

One of my students failed both of her state exams.  She has been having a difficult year - her mother has been in and out of the hospital, and she has taken on a large load at home to compensate.  She is bright, though she needs extra help in math and is behind in ELA.  She has been held over in the past.

When she came into school and found out that she had failed her test, she looked disappointed, but resigned.  She accepted it, and said that she was a little bit surprised, but that she would do what she had to do.

Then she wrote an email to her former principal, who now runs a school.  I have put the email here because it touched me to read it.

"I have been held behind and would like to know if you can help me.  I failed both of the tests.  For the ELA test i felt asleep at the time of the state tests.  I was going thru a lot that I can't manage at once, like for example my mother was in the hospital and I was so worried, and at the same time i had to be ready for the test. For the MATH I just felt like I needed more time to study and understand things, but I will go to summer school and see if i can make magic work...

Ever since I have been held over in the pass it's been messing with my future.  I have a very low self-esteem and I really give up fast, because I feel like I can't do it.  I also feel like there's no point in doing something that I know I'm going to fail at.  Thats why I was going to drop out of school and get my "GED".  I honestly don't wanna get it, I would love to graduate high school and become a successful woman , That's when Mrs. Klein told me about your new [school]l.  I would love to attend your school.  I promise I would work my behind off, I don't care if i have to stay after school I would work as hard as i could.

So please give me a chance I promise I won't let you or myself down, and if I can't attend thanks for listening."


3 comments:

  1. Whenever you find out, please please please write a post about whether she got in. This is the kind of kid so many of us root for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As NYC DOE Teacher, and parent, this breaks my heart. As I continue to get pd's on how we must design our lessons and curriculum to accomodate and assess each student individually, in the end one test assesses all students. Sooooo sad. These tests traumatize children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will certainly post an update on this student - now that the year is over, I find myself dwelling on the kids who didn't have success, and wondering what I could have done differently. She's a strong girl, and I have faith that she will find a path for herself in some way or another. Anyone who teaches her is truly fortunate to have her as a student.

    ReplyDelete